Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Southeast Meets Western Frontier: Fig-Prosciutto Pizza

Ree's Fig-Prosciutto Pizza is a delicious lunch idea.  It's a nice balance of salty and sweet with greens to boot (...and did I mention there is cheese, too?).   

 
An inviting Saturday afternoon view.

Step One:  Shop
Yummy starting materials
I used the following ingredients:

  • 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 fig preserves (that I posted Monday)
  • 12 oz fresh mozarella, sliced
  • 8 oz prosciutto, thinly sliced
  • 12 oz organic greens
  •  
Step Two:  Prep Pizza Dough
The lil dough ball before it rose.
Start with the pizza dough prep.  I let a teaspoon of "rapid rise" yeast sit in the warm water for 10 minutes.  In the meantime, I added the flour, salt and olive oil to my magic food processor pulsing on low.  Finally, I added the yeast water and "processed" until I had this nice little dough ball.  I placed this ball in a lightly oiled glass bowl and covered for one hour to let rise.

Step Three:  Flatten Dough, Top and Bake
Pizza on the George Foreman grill.
I spread the risen dough on a lightly oil George Foreman grill bottom.  To that I spread the fig preserves I had prepared and evenly spaced the fresh mozarella cheese.  I let this cook until the dough was done (~20 minutes).  I was impatient during this part.  I tried closing the grill top, but that resulted in a disasterous overflow of cheese... so word to the wise...

Step Four:  Cut Pizza
The yummy pizza product.
The pizza will pick up nicely out of the George Foreman grill, and I cut it into six squares.  (I'll admit it- I like ample lunch portions...)

Step Five:  Top with Greens
Everything looks healthier when you decorate with greens.

Don't forget the greens; evidently they're important. ;) 

360 cal/ 28 g carbs/ 18 g fat/ 20 g protein per serving  (Makes 6 servings).

**Notes**
  1. After cooling, I placed each square in aluminum foil, topped with greens and refrigerated/stored 6 days.  I took the greens off before re-heating at lunch (1 minute was a good re-heat microwave time for me). 
  2. I paired this with a ruby red grapefruit and 8 oz of organic 1% milk.
  3. Other than fruit pizza, this was the first pizza I had made from scratch by myself AND the only one I've ever attempted on a George Foreman grill.  TWO THUMBS UP!  :)

4 comments:

  1. Did I miss it, or did you leave the part out about adding the prosciutto?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt- sorry, I was at a fork in the road and varied from the original recipe. For the original, you would add the prosciutto right before the greens, BUT I liked the idea of a warm prosciutto whose flavors had merried with the cheese, fig preserves and dough. I added the prosciutto while the pizza was still on the grill and lightly pressed it so it had the nice grill marks. It's very tasty this way... hope you get a chance to try it! :)

      Delete
  2. OMG, this looks amazing. I'll be right over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think you have some fig preserves to make this action happen... :) Enjoy!

      Delete