Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Southeast Meets Western Frontier: Beef Stew

Southeast Meets Western Frontier: Beef Stew is a warm and delicious delight.  I realize it's summer, but sometimes I just crave a big crockpot chuck-full of veggies and meat.  This said, beef stew will always be a quick and easy option in my house.  The original recipe was not a crockpot recipe, but I'm the kind of girl who likes her cookware to do all the heavy-lifting.  (One of my previous bosses would always say, "Work smart, not hard"... enter the crockpot). 

Step One: Gather veggies and beef
The ingredients.
I used the following ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 lbs beef stew meat
  • 1 medium red oinion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 bottle of SweetWater 420 Pale Ale
  • 2 red tomatoes
  • 2 green tomatoes (for an experimental flare)
  • 1.5 lbs baby potatoes, cut in half
  • 1 bag of baby carrots
  • 4-5 stalks of celery
  • sea salt and ground black pepper to taste (I usually aim for 1 tablespoon of each)

Step Two:  Mix in the pot
Mixed in the pot.  (The meat and pale ale are on the bottom.)
I layered the meat and pale ale on the bottom followed by the chopped veggies.  I drizzled in the olive oil and then added the salt and pepper.  I attempt an uncoordinated stir/mix with a long wooden spoon (you know, the kind you may have gotten swatted with when you were little...)

Step Three:  Cook
Cook for 8 hours on Low in your sassy red crockpot.
  
Cook on low for 8 hours.  I generally cook overnight or while I'm at work.  Like most long-cooking dishes, the aroma will be lovely, but I recommend turning on a fan so that it doesn't become overpowering. 

Step Four:  Enjoy
Delicious filling warmth. (Yes, I know it's summer.)
I called two spoon ladles a serving.  The recipe made ample servings (about 7).  The nutritional information is as follows: 

380 cal/ 35 g carbs/ 26 g fat/ 32 g protein per serving

**Notes**

  1. This dish is best served immediately.  I refrigerated it for a week of suppers and simply microwaved servings each night.  I cannot say, however, that each subsequent night was as good as the first day.
  2. By using the crockpot, I avoided needing beef broth; the stew stayed moist and veggies supple. 
  3. As an aside, this may be one of my favorite ways to eat carrots.  (No matter what people say, I still maintain apples and carrots are and will always be horse food in my book.)


No comments:

Post a Comment