Yummm, breakfast! Whether it's a jolt start from Starbucks or a more savory (...albeit higher calorie) start of biscuits and gravy, we can all agree breakfast is your first impression of the day. Luckily, most of us can control how that start is going to go. Below is a waffle version of Ree's Lemon Blueberry Pancakes that is sure to give you a tasty start (just make sure you don't walk around with blueberry purple lips afterwards... guilty ;).
Step One: Assemble Ingredients
|Sometimes I go the easiest route- Bisquick (Heart Smart of course ;)|
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1.5 cups Bisquick
- 1.5 cups buttermilk (this may vary as it's used to thin the batter)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large egg
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (or more to suit your palate) blueberries
- Pam olive oil spray to coat waffle griddle
- butter to serve (and syrup if you like)
Step Two: Mix and Sizzle
|George Foreman waffle setup.|
Step Three: Enjoy!
I like protein of the morning so I paired my lemon blueberry waffles with turkey sausage. The recipe made 7 waffles (fairly large ones at that).
139 cal/ 25 g carbs/ 3 g fat/ 5 g protein per waffle
209 cal/ 25 g carbs/ 7 g fat/ 13 g protein per waffle + sausage link
- I wrapped these in aluminum foil and stored them in the freezer. Each morning, I would pop one in the toaster oven and it would be an easy on-the-go breakfast. (I just stored the turkey sausage in the fridge and lightly microwaved it ~45 seconds).
- These are a little more firm than your classic pancake so prepare to your own palate preference.
- I think this recipe would also be really good as a banana, coconut mix... especially with warm syrup... yum!