Step One: Clean Out the Fridge
|Ingredients... I know- I cheated by using canned black beans.|
I used the following ingredients:
- 5 leftover pork chops, cooked and cubed
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced (with juice)
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 16 oz. can black beans
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 6 small corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1.5-2 cups pork chop broth (use a chicken broth if you don't have this)
- Sea salt and Chef's black pepper to taste
- 1-2 cups water
|Cooking up some flavorful yummy|
This is a VERY flavorful soup AND very filling for a lunch. This is also SUPER easy to prep. I originally prepped my pork chops in a Dutch oven with 3 cups water (1 hour at 350 deg F, bake). This will give you the pork chops and the broth for the soup. Season the pork chops as your palate dictates. Dice these chops and add to your soup pot along with the broth. Next, add you diced vegetables and seasoning. Dilute this mix with water right up to the ingredient surface. Finally, add your tortilla strips and stir. Cook this on medium high heat for ~40 minutes.
279 cal/ 22 g carbs/ 6 g fat/ 32 g protein per 2 cup serving
- I stored this soup for one week. Re-heating at lunch for two minutes (microwave). Yes, it maintained its yumminess throughout the week.
- Be forewarned that the tortilla strips will dissolve slightly and 'cloud' the soup. No worries, though, still tasty. If this bothers you, however, just add the strips before microwaving to reheat.