Monday, August 20, 2012

Southeast Meets Western Frontier: Corn Casserole

Ree's Corn Casserole with Peppers is a fresh way to enjoy an abundance of summer corn.  I served this alongside a salad, and it was scrumptious.  I also felt less guilt about this dish since I did serve it with salad. 

Step One:  Trip to the Farmer's Market
A colorful trip to the Farmer's Market.

I used the following ingredients:
  • 9 ears of corn
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
  • 2 jalapeno's, diced (guage heat before adding)
  • 4 tablespoons salted butter
  • 1.5 cups heavy cream
  • Sea salt and Chef's black pepper to taste 

Step Two:  Cut Corn Off the Cob
Cutting the Corn

I bought my corn half shucked so I slightly cheated on the work to prep this dish.  Remember my trick of roasting the corn first so that it shucks easier.  (Work smart, not hard!)  I got my biggest mixing bowl to cut the corn off the cob because sometimes it goes everywhere, and 9 ears is going to need a large bowl.  I used a sharp 8 inch knife and this was a quick easy way to tackle this task.

Step Three:  Add Colorful Peppers
A rainbow of delicious.

I washed, seeded and diced the peppers.  You are forewarned that jalapeno's are hot- don't scratch your nose (burn baby burn) and try not to inhale deeply (sneezy) while working with these.  Try to pawn this job off if you can...  Then combine this beautiful, colorful bounty in the bowl with the corn.  I then added the cream, salt and pepper.  Stir.  

Step Four:  Bake & Enjoy
Baked Corn Casserole

I poured my mixed vegetables into a buttered baking dish and baked this casserole at 375 deg F for 30 minutes (or until you get the nice brown crust on top).  I called 1.5 cups a serving (especially since I was using it as my main course). 

314 cal/ 22 g carbs/ 18 g fat/ 5 g protein per serving

** Notes**
  1. I stored this for a week in the refrigerator and just microwaved 2 minutes prior to serving. 
  2. I was pleased with this dish; it was a fast fix at night and included plenty of veggies.  I did, however, drop the ball on protein for this one... I know.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment