Monday, August 6, 2012

Fresh Fig Preserves

It's fresh fig time in Georgia!  They average $5/quart (so buy a tree; it's more frugal).  I had never had figs until I moved to Georgia, and I'm very happy to say they are delicious!  If you haven't tried them, add the experience to your bucket list.  I had always avoided them because they reminded me of the dates that killed the Capuchin monkey in Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark.  Naturally, I boil mine because a sweet warm fig is divine, but this time, I decided to give preserves a try.    

Step One:  Ingredients
Equal parts sugar and fruit are always the safe bet... I don't play it safe in the kitchen.

My fig preserve ingredients:

  • 1 quart figs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup white grape juice
  • 1 sure-jell box
  • 1 quart canning jar (or 2 pints canning jars), canning lids and canning rings

Step Two:  Combine in Pot
Bring figs, juice, sugar and sure-jell to a boil.

I rinsed the figs and capped them (if they still have stems).  I placed the figs in the pot, poured in the grape juice, sugar and brought to a boil.  I mashed the figs (you could also put these in a food processor prior to boiling).  Once boiling, I added the sure-jell.  I let this mixture boil rapidly ~5-10 min.

Step Three:  Can
A little less than a quart.  (I may have sampled some...)

I poured the boiling preserves in an already-hot canning jar, wiped off the mouth and placed a freshly boiled and dried lid on top.  I tightened a ring over the lid and set the jar aside to seal.

Step Four:  Enjoy!
A little kick to the morning toast.

I love these preserves on buttered toast.  I call a serving a tablespoon.  Clearly, I spread more than one tablespoon on my toast, but I think it is yummier that way.  ;)

63 cal/ 16 g carbs/ 0 g fat/ 0 g protein per tablespoon

No comments:

Post a Comment